Thursday, July 10, 2008

Proximity to Downtown

One of the hassles of modern life is the hoops you have to go through every time you have something to do with the government. To add insult to injury, you usually have to travel to the downtown area to go to court, make a police report, pay a fine quickly, get a license or visit any government bureau or entity. If you live in an outlying area, the commute alone can take up half your day. And then you have to pay for parking.

As I said in my last post, I can be downtown in 1o minutes and if I go by bus I only pay $3 for the round trip. The downtown area being fairly compact, I can walk anywhere I need to go in minutes. Dealing with the government can be intimidating enough without worrying about getting there to begin with. And who wants to spend any more time than is necessary on a government errand?

Columbus happens to be Ohio's capital, so there is even more to see and do that pertains to the government. It's nice to know that I'm so close to the Capitol Building and the state legislators if I would want to visit them. Most of the state departments are situated downtown, or if not, are not far for someone who is starting from the inner city area.

Being close to government entities is probably not one of the main reasons a person would want to live in the city (unless, of course, he or she happens to work for one), but it is definitely one of the perks.